Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Why Kids Need Violent Entertainment

This was definitely an interesting and fairly controversial article. The author, Gerard Jones, presents the argument that violent entertainment actually teaches children to express their emotions and helps them work through emotional conflicts they may be experiencing internally.

I'll be honest, at first I was strongly inclined to disagree with his standpoint. I don't consider myself to be overly conservative with issues such as this one, but I would never have gone so far as to argue that violent entertainment is actually beneficial to children. The author of this article is very persuasive and makes some very good arguments. I think the argument that made me think twice about my previously-held views on the issue was the following:

"...our fear of "youth violence" isn't well-founded on reality, and that the fear can do more harm than the reality. We act as though our highest priority is to prevent our children from growing up into murderous thugs-- but modern kids are far more likely to grow up too passive, too distrustful of themselves, too easily manipulated."

While, I do consent that Gerard Jones makes a strong argument and that he makes many valid points, I still think that he takes his view a step too far. He also jumps to unnecessary conclusions. The argument that I included above makes a good case for not over-sheltering our children and encourages us to question our priorities and fears to ensure they are founded. However, I wonder if showing our children violent entertainment is the way to teach them to be less passive and less distrustful of themselves. We should be showing our children non-violent ways to stand up for themselves. Wouldn't a movie with an independent and well-spoken protagonist who uses words instead of violence accomplish the same goal in a less volatile way?

1 Comments:

Blogger megan said...

Hello Chelsea,

I would have to agree with you that Jones takes his ideas a little far. Jones states that he even feels that violent entertainment has inspired real life violence. I question the person who sees the truly negative aspects of violent television, yet still advocates for its benefits when the cons far outweigh the pros.

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home